Malmesbury Gholf Klub
Malmesbury is the largest town in the Swartland and is about 65km north of Cape Town. It is especially known for its grain and wine cultivation as well as sheep and poultry farming. The town originally developed around a tepid sulphur spring and the first farms were allocated in 1703. The area was first known as "Het Zwartland" (Black Land) apparently because of the typical rhinoceros bush, which has a black appearance during a certain time of the year. When the fifth Dutch Reformed congregation in the Cape was established here, it became known as Zwartlands-kerk but was renamed Malmesbury in 1829 by the Cape governor Sir Lowry Cole in honour of his father-in-law Sir James Harris, First Earl of Malmesbury. The town acquired municipal status in 1860.
Malmesbury Golf Course was established in 1960 and is popular among locals and Capetonians alike especially in the Cape's difficult wet winter conditions as an attractive parkland course with views over the Paardeberg Mountains and with Table Mountain clearly visible on clear days. The well maintained tree-lined fairways lead to very good bent grass greens.